The holidays are so cheery and happy times. With family and friends coming back into town to be with the family, we should all be jumping up for joy and excited, right??? WRONG! Sadly, real life doesn’t seem to be like those perfect Hallmark Christmas movies! And the truth is, we are stressed! Between the crowds at the shopping malls, back to back parties, spending awkward moments with in laws, the holidays really bring on the stress!
1. Get outside. spend time outdoors or near a window on sunny days.
2. Grab your citrus essential oils. Researchers studying depression have found that certain citrus fragrances boost feelings of well-being and alleviate stress by upping levels of norepinephrine, a hormone that affects mood. Get your diffuser started, in-hale the bottles, or put a couple drops on Kleenex to smell throughout the day. ***never apply undiluted essential oils directly to the skin***
3. Take a hike or brisk walk. This really helps me break away from the stress and even gives me some alone time! Set out to step around the neighborhood or find some nature trails to enjoy the beauty of nature.
4. Sleep better with 5-HTP. This plant extract increases serotonin, reduce anxiety, and improve sleep. Sleep is a major part of stress and how we function every day.
5. Applying firm pressure to your hoku. Applying firm pressure there for just 30 seconds can reduce stress and tension in your upper body. This is the extra skin located between your thumb and pointer finger.
6. Do less, enjoy more, say no. This is a tip where I should take my own advice! With the constant need to buy the best gifts, send out cards, and attend all holiday parties, we really overwhelm ourselves, without giving time to yourself. Give yourself time and love it deserves!
7. Do you boo. Do what you enjoy and do the things that make you happy! Laughing like crazy reduces stress hormones.
8. Don’t sweat it. Hosting parties, making dinner, gifts, etc. can be stressful because we want everything to be perfect. While that’s cool and everything, it will also stress you out! Just chill, stand back, sip on a glass of wine and relax. You will make an amazing dinner, serve it on time, get the best gift, and so on.
9. Rid yourself of electronics and most importantly social media…. For 2 days at least, if you can muster it! There have been repeated studies that electronics and social media really do a negative number on our brains! Try to stay away from those things for at least 2 days and even longer. Live in the moment and enjoy the beauty around you!
10. Love spicy foods? Good. Hot foods trigger the release of endorphins—the natural chemicals that trigger feelings of euphoria and well-being.
11. Dip into some honey. Honey will provide an instant energy booster if you are drained! Honey is also a great immune booster.
12. Have breakfast! I know quite a few people who skip breakfast and they are often stressed. Breakfast provides you with the nutrition you need to function in the morning. Much better then the nutrition a cup of Starbucks coffee will provide you!
13. Have sex! Orgasms increase endorphins (natural painkillers) and raise oxytocin levels, which promotes sound sleep.
14. Get your groove on. Jamming to your favorite tune will increase your blood flow and relax blood vessels. Plus, you would be knocking out a couple of other tips to regain your sanity by exercising and doing something for you! My favorite thing to listen to during the holidays is up beat Christmas music.
15. Get in a workout! Trying to find the motivation and time may be difficult, but it’s another way to beat out the stress in your mind and body. At the end of your workout you will feel pumped and ready to do anything! Even doing yoga or Pilates can help to alleviate stress.
16. Take some time off work. And seriously do nothing! Binge watch some Netflix, take a relaxing bath…with your favorite tunes, diffusing some citrus essential oils, and enjoy you!
17. Be positive. If something pisses you off or is stressing you out, sit yourself down and give yourself a pep talk! Thinking and being negative will only push you further into the mood.
This post may contain affiliate links where I may earn a small amount of money if purchases are made through links which helps support this site and keep its content free.
What is your favorite way to reduce stress around the holidays?